Constitution of West Midlands Cyclo Cross League – Community Amateur Sports Club
1 The club will be called: West Midlands Cyclo Cross League and in abbreviated form, WMCCL
2 The Purposes of the WMCCL
The purposes of the WMCCL are to promote the sport of Cyclo Cross in the West Midlands and community participation in the same area.
3 Permitted means of advancing the purposes
The Committee has the power to:
a Acquire and provide grounds, equipment, coaching, training and racing facilities, club house, transport, medical and related facilities
b Provide coaching, training, medical treatment, and related social and other facilities
c Take out any insurance for WMCCL, employees, contractors, riders, guests and third parties
d Raise funds by appeals, subscriptions, loans and charges
e Borrow money and give security for the same, and open bank accounts
f Buy, lease or licence property and sell, let or otherwise dispose of the same
g Make grants and loans and give guarantees and provide other benefits
h Set aside or apply funds for special purposes or as reserves
i Deposit or invest funds in any lawful manner
j Employ and engage staff and others and provide services
k Co-operate with or affiliate to firstly any bodies regulating or organising the Sport and secondly any club or body involved with it and thirdly with government and related agencies
l Do all other things reasonably necessary to advance the purposes
NONE of the above powers may be used other than to advance the purposes consistently with the Rules below and the general law.
a Membership of the WMCCL shall be open to anyone interested in the sport on application regardless of sex, age, disability, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, religion or other beliefs. However, limitation of membership according to available facilities is allowable on a non-discriminatory basis. Racing membership of the WMCCL will be on a first come, first served basis via the British Cycling online portal until the quota per age band is complete or until the closing date set annually by the committee is reached.
b The WMCCL may have different classes of membership including non-racing and subscription on a non-discriminatory and fair basis. The WMCCL will keep subscriptions at levels that will not pose a significant obstacle to people participating.
c For all WMCCL races non members may enter upon paying the day membership fee and British Cycling day membership if needed.
d The WMCCL Committee may refuse membership, or remove it, only for good cause such as conduct or character likely to bring the WMCCL or sport into disrepute. Appeal against refusal or removal may be made to an appointed panel consisting of WMCCL members.
5 All General Meetings
a All members may attend all general meetings of the Club in person.
b Such meetings need 21 clear days’ written notice to members.
c The quorum for all general meetings is 7 members present.
d The Chair or (in his or her absence) another member chosen at the meeting shall preside.
e Except as otherwise provided in these Rules, every resolution shall be decided by a simple majority of the votes cast on a show of hands.
f Formalities in connection with General Meetings (such as how to put down resolutions) shall be decided by the Committee and publicised to Club members.
6 Annual General Meetings (AGM)
The WMCCL will hold an AGM once in every calendar year and not more than 15 months after the last AGM. At every AGM:
a The Members will elect a Committee including a Chair, Treasurer and Secretary to serve until the next AGM;
b The Treasurer will produce accounts of the WMCCL for the latest financial year audited as the Committee shall decide;
c The Committee will present a report on the WMCCL activities since the previous AGM;
d The Members will appoint a suitable person to audit the accounts; and
e The Members will discuss and vote on any resolution (whether about policy or to change the Rules) and deal with any other business put to the meeting.
2 WMCCL members per WMCCL member club will be eligible to vote at the WMCCL AGM. WMCCL Private Members will be considered to be members of “WMCCL Club” and will be collectively eligible for 2 votes.
7 Extraordinary General Meetings (EGM)
An EGM shall be called by the Secretary within 14 days of a request to that effect from the Committee or on the written request of not less than 7 members signed by them. Such an EGM shall be held on not less than 14 or more than 21 days’ notice at a place decided upon by the Committee or in default by the Chair.
8 The Committee
A Role –
Subject to these Rules the Committee shall have responsibility for the management of the WMCCL, its funds, property and affairs.
B Property etc –
- The property and funds of the WMCCL cannot be used for the direct or indirect private benefit of members other than as reasonably allowed by the Rules.
- The WMCCL may provide sporting and related social facilities, sporting equipment, coaching, courses, insurance cover, medical treatment, event expenses, post event refreshments and other ordinary benefits of Community Amateur Sports Clubs as provided for in the Finance Act 2002.
- The WMCCL may also in connection with the sports purposes of the WMCCL:
a Sell and supply food, drink and related sports clothing and equipment;
b Employ members (though not for riding) and remunerate them for providing goods and services, on fair terms set by the Committee without the person concerned being present;
c Pay for reasonable hospitality for visiting teams and guests;
d Indemnify the Committee and members acting properly in the course of the running of the WMCCL against any liability incurred in the proper running of the WMCCL (but only to the extent of its assets).
- The Committee will have due regard to the law on disability discrimination and child protection
C Composition etc –
- The Committee shall consist of at least three and not more than 14 members (including Officers).
- The Committee members may co-opt WMCCL members (up to the maximum permitted number) to serve until the end of the next AGM.
iii. Any Committee member may be re-elected or re-co-opted without limit.
- A Committee member ceases to be such if he or she ceases to be a member of the WMCCL, resigns by written notice, or is removed by the Committee for good cause after the Member concerned has been given the chance of putting his/her case to the Committee with an appeal to the WMCCL members, or is removed by WMCCL members at a general meeting. The Committee shall fairly decide time limits and formalities for these steps.
D Committee meetings –
a Whenever a Committee member has a personal interest in a matter to be discussed, he/she must declare it, withdraw from that part of the meeting (unless asked to stay), not be counted in the quorum for that agenda item and withdraw during the vote and have no vote on the matter concerned.
b The Committee may decide its own way of operating. Unless it otherwise resolves the following rules apply:
a At least 2 members must be present for the meeting to be valid;
b Committee meetings shall be held face to face;
c The Chair, or whoever else those present choose shall chair meetings;
d Decisions shall be by simple majority of those voting;
e A resolution in writing signed by every Committee member shall be valid without a meeting;
f The chair of the meeting shall not have a casting vote.
E Delegation etc –
The Committee may delegate any of their functions to sub-committees but must specify the scope of its activity and powers; the extent to which it can commit the funds of the Club; its membership; its duty to report back to the Committee. The Committee may wind up any sub-committee at any time or to change its mandate and operating terms.
F Disclosure –
Annual WMCCL reports and statements of account must be made available for inspection by any member and all WMCCL records may be inspected by any Committee member.
a These Rules may be amended at a general meeting by two-thirds of the votes cast but not (if relevant) so as to jeopardise the WMCCL status as a Community Amateur Sports Club as first provided for by the Finance Act 2002 and not in any event to alter its purposes (unless the procedure set out in 9 (b) has been followed) or winding up provisions.
b The WMCCL Purposes may be changed to include another eligible sport if the Committee unanimously agree and the members also agreed the change by a 75% majority of votes cast.
10 Winding up the WMCCL
a The members may vote to wind up the WMCCL if not less than three quarters
of those present and voting support that proposal at a properly convened general meeting.
b The Committee will then be responsible for the orderly winding up of the WMCCL affairs.
c After settling all liabilities of the WMCCL, the Committee shall dispose of the net assets remaining to one or more of the following:
- To another Club or League with similar sports purposes which is a charity and/or
- To another Club or League with similar sports purposes which is a registered CASC and/or
- To British Cycling the national governing body for use by them for related community sports.
11 General Rules of Racing, WMCCL Specific Conditions, Rules of the WMCCL and Code of Conduct
a.The WMCCL will adhere to the rules and regulations of British Cycling.
b.Specific conditions, rules and code of conduct of the WMCCL will be displayed prominently on the WMCCL website.
- Rules of the WMCCL may be amended at a general meeting by two-thirds of the votes cast but not (if relevant) so as to jeopardise the WMCCL status as a Community Amateur Sports Club as first provided for by the Finance Act 2002 and not in any event to alter its purposes (unless the procedure set out in 9 (b) has been followed) or winding up provisions.
- WMCCL specific conditions and code of conduct are the responsibility of the Committee to manage and amend as necessary within the rules of British Cycling and WMCCL.
Constitution adopted at a meeting held at: Aldersley Leisure Village, Wolverhampton
On: Sunday 12th March 2017